Antenova celebrates 20 years of innovation and achievement in embedded antennas
Antenova was founded in 1999 to commercialise the multi-band dielectric resonator antennas developed at Sheffield and Brisbane Universities. These were smaller than other antennas and ideal for the growing mobile phone market. They supported multiple bands and would not de-tune close to the human head. Initially Cambridge-based investors provided funding. The company’s High Dielectric Array (HDA) antennas soon revolutionised mobile handsets, increasing traffic and range and cutting dropped calls.
Antenova’s first commercial product was a very small, novel sectional multi-directional antenna for location-based services. The benefits of Antenova’s antennas were clear – their small size, high isolation, superb efficiency and resistance to de-tuning, improve mobile performance and battery life.
As the mobile networks aspired to video services, Antenova’s antennas enabled mobile devices to play video clips.
Soon, Antenova launched the RADIONOVA RF antenna modules for GNSS applications.
– 2006 Antenova was supplying the world’s leading manufacturers of mobile handsets, laptops and portable devices.
– 2007 We developed the world’s first single module with both RF and passive antenna tuning, then a second-generation GPS RF antenna module, reducing cost and size for embedded GPS. We created Fusca – the world’s smallest short-range wireless antenna – followed by the world’s smallest GPS antenna module.
– 2008 A record year – Antenova secured designs with important players in mobile devices markets.
– 2009 More ground-breaking developments – the gigaNOVA Brevis GPS SMD antenna for small location devices, a GPS RADIONOVA module for credit card sized devices, new cellular pentaband antennas and a tuneable antenna for mobile TV.
– 2010 Antenova expanded into the growing wireless and M2M device markets. We launched Indica – a small WLAN ceramic chip antenna.
– 2012 A brand new fixed frequency LTE antenna was launched covering nine LTE bands.
– 2013 A new business direction – Antenova was set to focus fully on the fast-growing IoT and connected devices markets: healthcare, smart homes, energy, automotive, industry and wearables.
– 2014 A momentous year – many designers chose Antenova’s antennas for their small size, efficiency, low power consumption and cost-effectiveness. Antenova’s operations hub moved to modern ISO9001 2008 certified premises in Taipei city to meet demand.
– 2015 Antenova introduced THREE entirely new families of antennas for consumer applications and IoT – ceriiANT, lamiiANT and flexiiANT. A surge of new projects followed.
– 2017 Antenova demonstrated its first NB-IoT antenna and announced the REFLECTOR antenna family which operates on or near metal surfaces.
– 2018 The REFLECTOR antenna won the Embedded Hardware Award at Embedded World.
– 2019 We launched Raptor SR4G052, an exciting antenna which pinpoints locations to centimetres – enabling greater accuracy in tracking and positioning devices.